The Argentina and Brasil both have a dummy mid-ship funnel and two twin uptakes aft that are the real funnels. I will touch on some of their employment and prior names but not all of them since the ships operated many varied careers.
The ships started off sailing for Moore-McCormack but later sailed for Holland America as the Veendam and Volendam; for Monarch Cruises as the Monarch Sun and Monarch Star; for Bermuda Star Line as the Bermuda Star and Canada Star; for Commodore Cruises as the Enchanted Isle and Enchanted Seas.
Some Interesting Deployments for these ships:
- The Argentina/Enchanted Isle spent a short stint on as the Commodore Hotel, permanently docked in St Petersburg. Due to the high theft rate of anything that was not nailed down the ship was quickly returned to cruising.
- The Brasil sailed from Tahiti as the Liberte for American Hawaii Cruises. This operation from Tahiti was short lived due to the high price to import all of the necessary supplies. The ship underwent a significant upgrade prior to his deployment including modifications to her funnel.
- The Brasil, under the name Universe Explorer, was also employed by the Institute of Shipboard Education also known as the Semester at Sea. She operated as a floating college until early 2004. The Universe Explorer was expected to undergo a refit and return to cruising but this never happened. Upgrading of the ship was too expensive and in December 2004 she arrived in Alang India for scrapping.
- December 27, 2000 Commodore Cruise Line filed for bankruptcy. On December 4, 2003 the Argentina arrived at Alang India for scrapping under the name New Orleans.
History of the s/s Brasil
- Brasil - Moore-McCormack Lines: 1958-1969
- Volendam - Holland America Line: 1972-75, 1978-84
- Monarch Sun - Monarch Cruise Lines: 1975-1978
- Island Sun - 1984
- Liberté - American Hawaii: 1985-1986
- Canada Star - Bahamas Cruise Line 1988
- Queen of Bermuda - Bermuda Star Line- 1988-1990
- Enchanted Seas - Commodore Cruise Line: 1990-1996
- Universe Explorer - World Explorer Cruise Line: 1996-2004
- Universe Explorer - Scrappers Alang India -
History s/s Argentina
- Argentina - Moore-McCormack Lines: 1958-1969
- Veendam - Holland America Line: 1972-74, 1975-76, 1978-84
- Brasil - Intermares: 1974
- Monarch Star - Monarch Cruise Lines: 1976-1978
- Bermuda Star - Bermuda Star Line: 1984-1990
- Enchanted Isle - Commodore Cruise Line: 1990-2003
- New Orleans - Scrappers Arrived Alang - December 2003
Our Other Sites: