Readers: Recently I received this announcement stating that the Ocean Gala is being offered for sale.
The Ocean Gala previously operated as the Scandinavia, Stardancer, Viking Serenade, Island Escape and most recently the Ocean Gala. Here is the email....
Owners are now ready to accept any reasonable offer on the M/V Ocean Gala. This former RCCL Cruise vessel with 1750 passenger capacity for world wide trading, is currently laying in Northern Sweden, where she was ordered and contracted in by the Swedish Government to assist in their housing needs of incoming refugees. Due to the major reduction in arriving refugees, The Swedish Migration Board, is not utilizing their contracted facilities. The owners have therefore decided to take drastic measures to mitigate their damages.
We are therefore encouraging any reasonable offer for sale/hire-purchase or straight charter.
She has recently completed her 5 year survey with DnvGL and is ready for immediate deployment.
Brief Descriptions as follows, with full vessel details to named interested parties.
- 768 CABIN SHIP for accommodation additional cabins
- Current Name: m/v OCEAN GALA
- Prior Name: Island Escape Viking Serenade, Stardancer, Scandinavia
- About 40,171 gt
- Bahamas flag
- Built December 1982 Dubigeon Normandie, France
- Converted to cruise ship in 1991 in South West Marine, U.S.A. - Class GL +1A1 passenger ship
- 185.26m LOA
- 27m Beam
- 7.22m draft
- 768 cabins for accommodations additional cabins
- About 1520 lower berths
- About 1840 all berths for accommodations dockside up to 2100 - Main engines 2 x B+W 9L55GFCA about 27000 bhp total
- About 18 knots cruising speed
- Bowthrusters 2 x Lips 883 kW each