|Hospital Ship USNS Comfort to Tie Up In New York To Provide Medical Services and addition Hospital Beds.|
Wednesday's Latest Cruise Events.......
Surprisingly - Ships are not staying still during layup. Rather than stay dockside, the ships are anchoring at sea. Granted the ships need to be at sea to create drinking water. Here are some key movements.
- Grandeur of the Seas is scheduled to Arrive in Baltimore early morning on 3/19/20. The ship has taken an extremely long time to reach Baltimore after some passengers came down with the Norovirus.
- The Grandeur of the Seas has displaced the Carnival Pride which was laid up in Baltimore. The Carnival Pride is now heading to Miami expected to arrive on March 22 at 8:00 AM.
- Now it has become clear why the Norwegian Bliss did not lay up in Manhattan. The Hospital Ship USNS Comfort will be dispatched from Norfolk and dock in New York. This is being done to help increase the number of available hospital beds should the number of cases spike significantly. I assume the cruise piers will also be used to pre-screen and potentially house ill people.
- The USNS Mercy, a second hospital ship, will be deployed to a West Coast city - yet to be determined. The USNS Mercy is currently in San Diego, Ca.
- The Norwegian Bliss is now expected to arrive in Norfolk on March 19 at 8:00 AM.
- Viking Cruises' Viking Sky remains anchored off Miami.
- The Norwegian Joy has left Los Angeles and is heading to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
- The Norwegian Breakaway is now in Nassau.
- The Carnival Miracle has left Los Angeles as well and is now heading to Long Beach, California to anchor/dock along side the Carnival Panorama and Carnival Imagination.
- Phoenix Reisen's Amadea has just transited the Panama Canal, having left Nicaragua on March 14th and will sail directly to Bremerhaven arriving on April 1.
- The Norwegian Epic ended her Southern Caribbean cruise in Port Canaveral on March 17 instead of Puerto Rico (scheduled for March 15).
- Norwegian Jewel’s 23-day Australia and French Polynesia itinerary was modified to disembark in Auckland, New Zealand on March 20, 2020. Due to multiple port closures the ship is now expected to disembark in Honolulu on March 22, 2020.
- Norwegian Spirit, after her massive refit sailed from Marseilles France to Cape Town South Africa. It is unclear if she will be able to dock in Capetown with has rejected ships that have had a clean bill of health.
- The Norwegian Pearl is docked at Martin Mariette Marine Terminal at Jacksonville Florida. The ship is docked at an aggregates terminal with piles of building materials near by. She is in port with the Norwegian Sky and Carnival Ecstasy. The Norwegian Gem is still slowly making her way down the coast.
- Fred. Olsen's Braemar is alongside at Cuba's Port of Mariel. All 682 passengers are set to fly back to the UK. Three chartered British Airways flights are scheduled to land at London Heathrow Thursday morning.
- Reports indicate that Norwegian Cruise Lines has cut salaries temporarily 20% and have cut land based staff's work week to 4 days per week. Other cruise lines may follow suit.
- Hurtigruten has chosen to reduce some 400 land base jobs in Norway as ships are laid up. Two Norwegian Coastal ships will remain sailing to provide coastal cities with supplies and fundamentals.
- P&O Cruises Arcadia has been denied access to Cape Town South Africa who has placed a restriction on cruise passengers and crew going ashore. Based on this development the Arcadia has been permitted to refuel and load supplies on Sunday at Durban, before turning around and heading back to Southampton on April 12.
- The crew members on the Carnival Spirit have been informed that they will have to leave the ship during layup. A letter was sent to the crew that stated the vessel will not
be able to begin its season in Alaska as scheduled on April 20, 2020. Restrictions by the Canadian Government in suspending ship arrivals
until at least July 1, 2020.
Look for another post today at 4:00 PM EST.
RETURN TO NYCRUISEINFO.com
=> NYCruiseInfo.com Website - Cruise Schedule, Ship Reviews, Ports of Call & More.
=> NYCruiseInfo.com Blog - News On Cruise Ships Departing From New York & New Jersey.
=> Follow Us on Instagram - NYCruiseInfo At Instagram
=> Subscribe to Our Monthly New York Cruises Newsletter