|As a result of the Coronavirus, Cruise Lines Temporarily suspends operations and ships are laid up.|
Sunday 3/15/2020 Update.
The Cruise ships are still moving around letting passengers off from prior cruises – there are also some moves that are happening without any explanation or reason. It should be noted that ships will need to sail into deep water periodically to produce fresh water. Taking on water in port for desalinization is not a good idea – since it usually pulls in silt and mud which clog the systems.
Events of the Day
- Unfortunately a passenger died onboard the Nieuw Statendam during the cruise that ended in Fort Lauderdale today – The person had to be tested for coronavirus before the ship was cleared to allow passengers to disembark. Passengers disembarked 4 hours later.
- Fred Olsen’s Braemar continues to be a ship without a country as she sits idle anchored some 50 Nautical Miles off of Miami and the Bahamas. The ship has 5 confirmed cases of the coronavirus and numerous ports have denied her berthing rights (see yesterday’s post for additional details). Reports today state that Fred Olsen is in negotiations with the US Government and Cuba to seek a place to dock the ship.
- Positive Coronavirus cases are reported on board luxury cruise operator - Silversea. Cases have been reported onboard the Silver Shadow and Silver Explorer. The Silver Shadow is off the coast of Recife, Brazil with 609 passengers.
- The Silver Explorer is docked in Castro, Chile with 111 passengers and 120 crew. Report indicate that a single passenger has been diagnosed with the coronavirus.
- The Norwegian Jewel - which has NO confirmed cases of the virus is being denied access to ports in the Pacific - Specifically the ports of French Polynesia and Fuji. Norwegian Cruise Line is actively searching for a port to disembark the passengers and fly them home.
- Passengers onboard the Celebrity Eclipse are being denied the ability to disembark in Chile and fly home. Although the ship does not have any confirmed cases of the virus. Local authorities are not allowing anyone off the ship. Supposedly Celebrity Cruises is working with Chilean officials to come to an agreement.
Here are where select cruise ships were at 10:00 AM Sunday morning 3/15/2020.
- Explorer of the Seas, MSC Meraviglia, Norwegian Pearl, Carnival Horizon, Scarlet Lady, Norwegian Encore, Oasis of the Seas, Empress of the Seas, MSC Seaside hovering outside the port, and Fred Oslen’s Braemar – 50 KM off the coast of Miami.
- Regal Princess, Emerald Princess, Celebrity Silhouette, Koningsdam, Celebrity Edge and Nieuw Statendam
- Norwegian Sun, Carnival Breeze, Disney Fantasy, Norwegian Breakaway, Harmony of the Seas, Victory (Casino Ship)
New York / New Jersey
- Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Bliss, Check out NYCruiseInfo.com for additional info.
- Carnival Pride
Coco Cay Bahamas
- Navigator of the Seas, Symphony of the Seas, MSC Divina (hovering offshore).
- Carnival Ecstasy, Norwegian Sky
- Carnival Paradise, Carnival Legend, Norwegian Dawn, Rhapsody of the Seas
- Carnival Valor (enroute), Carnival Glory, Norwegian Getaway
- Carnival Sunrise, Seven Seas Explorer, Norwegian Escape (enroute)
- Grand Classica, Carnival Elation (Drydock), Carnival Conquest, Carnival Magic, Celebrity Eclipse(offshore)
- Carnival Fantasy,
- Carnival Freedom (enroute), Carnival Valor (enroute)
- Norwegian Joy, Star Princess
Long Beach California
- Carnival Panaroma (off shore anchored), Carnival Imagination.
RETURN TO NYCRUISEINFO.com
=> NYCruiseInfo.com Website - Cruise Schedule, Ship Reviews, Ports of Call & More.
=> NYCruiseInfo.com Blog - News On Cruises Departing From New York & New Jersey.
=> Follow Us on Instagram - NYCruiseInfo At Instagram
=> Subscribe to Our Monthly New York Cruises Newsletter